How to Ensure Text Remains Visible During Webfont Load
Every second counts when it comes to website performance. One aspect often overlooked is the loading time of webfonts.
A web font is a type of font that’s specifically designed for use on the web. Just like the fonts you have installed on your computer, webfonts come in a variety of styles and sizes, from bold and italic to light and condensed.
However, unlike the fonts on your computer, webfonts are not stored locally. Instead, they’re hosted on a server and downloaded by your web browser when you visit a webpage. This allows websites to use a wider range of fonts, beyond the standard ones typically installed on most computers.
This is important because it means that no matter what device or browser someone is using to view your website, they will see the text in the font you've chosen, ensuring a consistent look and feel across all platforms. But how can you ensure text remains visible during webfont load? Let's explore some effective strategies.
Why Ensuring Text Visibility During Webfont Load is Crucial
When it comes to the success of a website, a seamless user experience is non-negotiable - and this includes keeping text visible while your webfonts load.
This seemingly minor detail can have a significant impact on your website's performance and user engagement. This is particularly important for popular platforms like WordPress, Shopify, and Elementor, where the competition is fierce and user experience can make or break your site's success.
Here are the key reasons why it’s so important to ensure text remains visible during webfont load:
- User Experience: Readability is key to keeping users engaged; invisible text can deter potential customers from staying on your page and interacting with your content. If your text remains invisible while webfonts load, users may not wait around. They might leave your site, increasing your bounce rate.
- SEO Impact: Your website speed is a key factor in your SEO ranking. Search engines like Google penalize sites with slow loading times, meaning your website could be pushed down in search results if your text isn't immediately visible. By ensuring text remains visible during webfont load, you can enhance your SEO ranking, making your site more visible to potential visitors.
- Perceived Performance: Even if the actual loading time of your website is fast, invisible text can create a perception of slowness. Users might perceive your site as slow if they can't immediately read the content. Ensuring text visibility can thus improve the perceived performance of your site.
- Accessibility: For users with slower internet connections or older devices, webfonts might take longer to load. Ensuring text visibility during webfont load makes your website more accessible to these users, which broadens your audience.
How to Ensure Text Remains Visible During Webfont Load for WordPress, Elementor and Shopify
Ensuring text remains visible during webfont load is a crucial aspect of optimizing your website. Here are a few ways to ensure text remains visible:
- Preloading Fonts tells the browser to load the font earlier, reducing text invisibility time.
- Host Fonts Locally: This can reduce load times and ensure text visibility.
- Fallback Fonts: Use a system or fallback font that closely resembles your webfont. This allows text to be visible.
- Font Display: Leverage the font-display CSS feature. Setting it to swap ensures text is immediately visible during load.
Tips for WordPress and Elementor
WordPress is a popular management system for website content, and Elementor is its built-in website builder plugin. To keep your text visible during webfont load for WordPress or Elementor, you can follow these steps:
- Use plugins like WP Rocket, which offer easy-to-use settings to optimize your webfont loading.
- The 'Optimize CSS Delivery' feature in WP Rocket automatically detects and loads your webfonts in an optimized manner.
- With WP Rocket, you can also preload key webfonts to ensure they load quickly, keeping your text visible.
- Elementor comes with built-in optimization settings that help adjust webfont loading.
- Go to 'Elementor > Settings > Advanced' and set the 'Load Google Fonts' option to 'Swap'. This ensures that the browser displays the text in a system font until the custom font is fully loaded.
- Elementor also allows you to control which fonts are loaded on your site, reducing load times.
Our team is on standby to assist you with every step of this process.
Tips for Webflow and Shopify Users
Here's a simple guide on how to ensure your text stays visible:
- Identify the Problem: First, you need to identify if your website has an invisible text issue during webfont load. You can use tools like Google's PageSpeed Insights to check this.
- Choose Webfonts Wisely: Opt for webfonts that load quickly and efficiently. Remember, the more fonts and styles you use, the longer it takes for them to load.
- Use Font Display CSS Feature: Utilize the 'font-display' property in your CSS. This allows you to control how webfonts load on your site. The 'font-display: swap;' value ensures text remains visible during webfont load.
- Preload Key Webfonts: Preloading your most important webfonts can ensure they load quickly, keeping your text visible.
- Optimize Webfont Files: Compress your webfont files and serve them in modern formats like WOFF2 for faster loading.
While these steps might seem straightforward, applying them requires technical knowledge and expertise.
Our team specializes in website optimization and understands the nuances of ensuring text visibility during webfont load. We can implement these practices effectively on your WordPress, Elementor, or Shopify site.
By choosing us, you're not just fixing a single issue; you're investing in comprehensive website optimization including improving your Core Web Vitals. We take care of the technicalities, so you can focus on what you do best – running your business. Contact us to discover more.
Slow Store? We can Help!
Our purpose is to assist Shopify merchants wherever possible to enhance their performance from every angle – speed included. If you want your site to get the best possible results in the market, you need to get ahead of your competition. And that starts with Shopify speed optimisation.CHECK MY SHOPIFY SPEED 👉