How to Use Explicit Width and Height on Image Elements
When designing a website, it's crucial to pay attention to every detail, including how images are displayed. One key aspect of this is setting explicit width and height on image elements. This practice involves adding specific dimensions to the HTML code for each image on your website.
By specifying the width and height, you instruct the browser on exactly how much space to allocate for each image before it loads. This can significantly enhance the performance of your site by reducing layout shifts, improving load times, and ultimately providing a smoother, more enjoyable browsing experience for your users.
Why Use Explicit Width and Height on Image Elements?
Using explicit width and height on image elements is a key strategy for enhancing your website's performance. It can significantly reduce layout shifts, improve Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) scores, and provide a better user experience.
This technique can significantly enhance your website's performance, providing a more enjoyable browsing experience for your users. But why is it so crucial?
- Reduced Layout Shifts: Every time a user visits your webpage, their browser has to load various elements, including images. If these images do not have explicit dimensions set, the browser has to figure out how much space each image will take up. This process can cause the layout of your page to shift as different elements load at different times, leading to a disjointed and frustrating user experience.
By setting specific dimensions for your images, you inform the browser in advance about the space required for each image, eliminating unexpected shifts and creating a smoother browsing experience.
- Improved CLS Score: CLS, or Cumulative Layout Shift, is a Core Web Vital used by Google to measure user experience. A high CLS score represents a poor user experience, as it indicates that elements on your page are shifting unpredictably as they load. This can be particularly annoying for users who may click on a link or button, only for it to move as the page continues to load. By using explicit width and height on image elements, you can drastically reduce your CLS score, enhancing user experience and potentially boosting your SEO rankings.
Benefits of Using Explicit Width and Height on Image Elements
When running a website, it's essential to provide the best user experience possible. One way to do this is by setting explicit width and height on your image elements.
This simple yet effective optimization technique can offer a multitude of benefits:
- Enhanced User Experience: One of the most noticeable advantages of using explicit dimensions on image elements is the improved user experience. When images have specified dimensions, browsers can allocate the appropriate space for them in advance. This prevents the layout from shifting as the page loads, providing a smoother, more pleasant browsing experience for your users.
- Improved SEO Rankings: Search engines like Google evaluate websites based on numerous factors, one of them being performance metrics. Websites that load quickly and provide a smooth user experience tend to rank higher in search results. By using explicit width and height on your images, you can improve these performance metrics, potentially boosting your website's SEO rankings and increasing its visibility online.
- Faster Load Times: When browsers know the exact size of an image before it loads, they can reserve the necessary space for it. This eliminates the need for the browser to recalculate the page layout as images load, resulting in faster page load times. Faster load times can significantly enhance user satisfaction, as users typically prefer websites that load quickly and efficiently.
- Greater Efficiency and Control: By specifying the dimensions of your images, you gain more control over how your webpage looks and functions. This allows for greater efficiency in site design and can help ensure that your website appears exactly as you intended.
How to Set an Explicit Width and Height on Image Elements
Boosting your website's performance might seem like a challenging task, especially if you're not an IT expert. However, setting explicit width and height on image elements is simpler than it appears. Here's an easy-to-understand breakdown:
- Identifying the Images: Start by pinpointing which images on your website could benefit from optimization. These could be images that take too long to load or disrupt your webpage layout as they load.
- Determining Dimensions: Next, figure out the exact size of the image, measured in pixels. For instance, an image might be 400 pixels wide and 300 pixels tall. These figures are the dimensions you'll need to set.
- Adding Dimensions to Tags: The final step involves incorporating these dimensions into the specific 'tags' associated with each image on your website. This is done in the backend of your site, usually within the HTML code. It's akin to giving the browser instructions about how much space to reserve for each image before it loads.
While you can handle this process manually, it does require some technical knowledge and can be time-consuming. That's where Fix My Site Speed can help. Our team can manage all the technical details for you, allowing you to focus on running your business effectively.
Let Our Expert Team Optimize Your Images
While setting explicit width and height on image elements might seem straightforward, it requires careful handling. An error could disrupt your site's layout or cause other issues.
We specialize in improving website performance. Our experienced professionals understand the intricacies of using explicit dimensions on image elements and know how to implement them effectively. We handle all the technical details, allowing you to focus on running your business. Here's why you should let us help you:
- Expertise: Our team is proficient in all aspects of website optimization, ensuring your site performs at its best.
- Efficiency: We save you time and effort by taking care of the technicalities involved in setting explicit dimensions for your images.
- Results: We help improve your site's user experience and SEO rankings, potentially leading to increased traffic and conversions.
We take care of the technicalities, so you can focus on what matters most – running your business. So why wait? Let us optimize your site speed and enhance your site's performance today. Contact us to discover more.
Slow Store? We can Help!
Our purpose is to assist Shopify merchants wherever possible to enhance their performance from every angle – speed included. If you want your site to get the best possible results in the market, you need to get ahead of your competition. And that starts with Shopify speed optimisation.CHECK MY SHOPIFY SPEED 👉